Compliance for competition prize draws in Australia
There are specific regulations around the random draw system that you are allowed to use to pick winners for your competition, promotion or give away. All Australian states/territories have their own rules and you need to be careful that you adhere to their individual requirements.
NSW and SA require the methodology for picking winners to be independently assessed and to follow strict security protocols. SA issue a certificate of compliance for any electronic random draw system that has been approved by them. Look for the registered approval number of the system you intend to use.
All of this means that you can't legally use any "random" prize picker that you find online. It also means that you may not be compliant if you use a spreadsheet to pick the winners.
Some promoters print out the entries and perform a so called "barrel" draw. This is generally allowed, but is in most cases cumbersome and makes it difficult to keep records of the draw (some states require records to be kept for 2 or 3 years). It is also a potential perception issue. Your entrants are likely to feel more confident about the objectivity of the draw knowing that it was performed electronically.
Note that even if you have a valid competition permit, you will still need to be aware of these rules, as they specifically apply to how you pick the winner(s).
randomdraws.com.au™ is government certified and meets the legislative requirements across all Australian states and territories. You will receive a certificate of compliance with each draw with all draw and approval details.
How can I show entrants that my draw is legitimate?
Using our third party service adds credibility to your draw. If you want entrants to be confident about the independence of the draw, you can:
- Show them the certificate of compliance after the draw
- Publish the winners on our hosted URL
- Hold a live draw
- Add our approved logo* to the draw or your promotion page
* Please do not publish logos of our clients (we are not allowed to share these)
Why should I use randomdraws.com.au™?
- Use for competitions, trade promotions and giveaways
- Draw winners now or schedule for later
- Maintain records for audit purposes
- Government approved in Australia
- Pay for one draw or pre-purchase to save
- Trusted by brands, agencies, and law firms
- Complete draw in under two minutes
- All major credit cards accepted